Sunday, February 7, 2010

I'm a fan of the Colts, but I'm devoted to Jesus

I am a huge fan of the Colts. This is a common knowledge fact about my life. I love that people think of me when they see something Colts related. I get texts and pictures from random locations when people hear about the Colts or see Colts paraphernalia. People have even started supporting the Colts just because of my passion for the team. Friendships have been formed and deepened around my passion for the Colts.

Tonight I got many condolence emails, text messages, and facebook posts. It made me realize exactly how much I'm identified as a Colts fan. While it's great to be known as a Colts fan I hope that even more I'm know as a fan of Jesus. I'm not going to lie, it's a little bit convicting. It's easy to be identified with a team because I can wear my Colts jersey, necklace, socks, and shoes. It's harder to show your devotion without outward appearances. I'd love to wear a Jesus robe and rock some Jesus sandals, but that doesn't really work. My horseshoe necklace shows I'm a Colts fan, but when people see my cross it looks like simple decoration.

While I'm sure many people in my life will forever remember me as the Colts fan I am, I hope I will be remembered even more as being devoted to Jesus. He is my everything and my all. I hope I can love like He loves and live like He lived. I'm a fan of the Colts, but my whole life is devoted to Jesus.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen.

Becky said...

I like this - and while you are a CRAZY Colts fan (crazy in the best way possible) ;) I have no doubt you are MADLY in love with Jesus too. But you bring up a great point that it is so much easier to be identified by other things first over our devotion to Jesus, which is convicting and challenging - I too want people to know me as a Jesus lover over anything else but how do I make that known and yet not turn every person I know away? You have given me much to contemplate! ;)